Whether it’s your first visit to North Myrtle Beach or you’re a frequent visitor to the area, it’s important to read up on the guidelines! The City of North Myrtle Beach rules are there to preserve and protect our beautiful beaches and well as help keep our visitors and citizen safe.
Brush Up on the North Myrtle Beach Rules
North Myrtle Beach Tent and Umbrella Rules for the 2018 Season
Most of our guests enjoy bringing or renting an umbrella to enjoy a bit of shade during their stay. North Myrtle Beach only allows umbrellas on the beach (no tents, tarps, cabanas, etc). The umbrellas must have a center pole no greater than 7 feet, 6 inches in height and a circular shade no greater than 9 feet in diameter. Keep an eye out for the established North Myrtle Beach umbrella line and make sure that you set up your shade next to or behind this boundary. They are only allowed on the beach from May 15 to September 15.
North Myrtle Beach Dog Rules
If you’d like to bring your dog with you to the beach, North Myrtle Beach requires that pet owners keep their dogs on a leash at all times. The maximum leash length is seven feet long. Pet owners must pick up and dispose of their pet’s waste. Take a look at our pet-friendly homes to start planning your beach vacation with your four-legged friend!
North Myrtle Beach Surfing Rules and Regulations
According to the North Myrtle Beach Department of Parks and Recreation:
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to ride a surfboard or skimboard on the public beach or any waters adjacent thereto, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. during the period from May fifteenth to September fifteenth, except in the following designated areas:
(1) Beginning at a point three hundred (300) feet north of the Cherry Grove Pier, and ending at a point six hundred (600) feet north of the point of beginning;
(2) Beginning at a point at 13th Avenue South, and ending at a point six hundred (600) feet north thereof;
(3) Beginning at a point at 27th Avenue South, and ending at a point six hundred (600) feet north thereof;
(4) Beginning at a point at 38th Avenue South, and ending at a point six hundred (600) feet north thereof;
(5) Beginning at a point one hundred fifty (150) feet south of 6th Avenue North and ending at a point nine hundred (900) feet north of the point of beginning.
(b) It shall be unlawful to surf within three hundred (300) feet of any pier.
(c) All surfers shall be required to wear a surfing leash at all times.
(Code 1970, § 6-5; Ord. of 4-20-82; Ord. No. 88-33, 10-4-88; Ord. No. 90-18, § 1, 6-4-90; Ord. No. 04-13, 4-19-04)
Other North Myrtle Beach Rules
North Myrtle Beach alcohol laws prohibit any alcohol on the beaches, as well as prohibits glass and fireworks. It is illegal to pick up or damage sea oats and sand dune fencing.