North Myrtle Beach is known for miles of gorgeous shoreline, gentle waves, and opportunities for family-friendly fun! If you’re hoping to enjoy a little sun during your vacation to The Grand Strand, you won’t have to search far. There are so many outdoor activities in North Myrtle Beach, from water sports to outside attractions. Whether you’re hoping to ride the waves or hike a trail, you’ll find everything you need to have the perfect vacation! Remember to download our free Vacation Guide for even more awesome North Myrtle Beach attractions, restaurants, and shops. Our free Vacation Guide makes it easy for visitors to the area plan their trip in no time at all.
The Best Outdoor Activities in North Myrtle Beach
Get Out on the Water
The Grand Strand is an excellent place to drop a hook and relax by the water. To start, there are some fishing piers in North Myrtle Beach.
- Cherry Grove Beach Pier is home to many fishing records, including the world record for Tiger Shark and Tarpon! Set your own record when you visit. The pier has a Tackle and Gift Shop at the end, and the knowledgeable staff can help you pick out the best bait.
- Myrtle Beach State Park Pier is the perfect place for out-of-state anglers to visit. There are no fishing licenses required to fish from the pier, and the fee for guests 16 or older is just $5.
- Spend the afternoon at 14th Avenue Pier! This iconic site is the perfect place to fish and then enjoy a delicious meal at the on-site restaurant. The spirit of fun and fine dining combines for an amazing experience!
If you’re unfamiliar with this area, consider booking a fishing charter. There’s no better way to reel in the big one than with the help of experienced guides!
- Reel Action Fishing Charters of Myrtle Beach is a great option for visitors who want a personal experience without having to pay extra. Each charter is private, and they fish year-round. This is also ideal for guests who know where they want to go, as you’ll be able to request spots from Little River to North Myrtle Beach and beyond!
- Low Country Fishing Charters is another fantastic choice for out-of-town visitors. They provide all the necessary licenses and equipment, so you just have to bring your enthusiasm! These trips are also customizable and include off-shore fishing opportunities to eco-tours. They also offer year-round charters, though the rates change depending on the season.
- North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters has the widest selection of charters from which to choose. You can even book a Myrtle Beach shark fishing charter! This is best for more experienced anglers.
Take a Dolphin Cruise
North Myrtle Beach is home to plenty of fun dolphin cruises and eco-tours available to guests!
- Voyager Deep Sea Fishing & Dolphin Cruises offer morning and sunset cruises. This is an awesome option for families, as the tour boat comes equipped with a full galley, food and beverages, and a restroom. Watch the shrimp boat fleet work their nets as dolphins, sharks, and other gorgeous marine life feed behind them. You’ll be able to get an up-close look at some of the smaller animals as the Voyager crew pulls up a basket of crabs or baby sharks.
- Myrtle Beach Watersports offers dolphin tours that will both educate and excite you! First, you’ll enjoy a narrated cruise of the Intracoastal Waterway, passing by fishing villages and uninhabited islands. You’ll learn about the area’s history and the wildlife that calls The Grand Strand home. You’ll then go on a ride to the open Atlantic Ocean and get to see the dolphins!
- Express Watersports departs from Murrells Inlet and takes guests on a 1.5-hour tour along the coast. Each tour features an onboard naturalist who will describe the history of the area, as well as point out the nearby aquatic life.
If you’re new to kitesurfing, you have nothing to worry about! Myrtle Beach Kiteboarding School offers five different classes, each with a different focus on technique and level of difficulty. If you’re new to the sport but you want to be able to enjoy an afternoon of kitesurfing, try their fast-track course. It’s a two-parter, and goes over the basics of kitesurfing up to practicing baby jumps and riding upwind.
Catch a Wave
If you’re an experienced surfer, check Swell Info for a comprehensive and up-to-date surf report. From wave height to wind speed, this report has it all.
If you’re new to surfing but want to learn, Kokopelli Surf Camp offers private and group lessons that are perfect for beginners. The instructors guarantee that you’ll be surfing by the end of the lesson! For a more intense program, sign up for their three-day surf camp. The course lasts all morning, giving you the afternoon to enjoy the waves and practice.
For a relaxing water sport, try paddleboarding!
- Kokopelli Surf Camp also offers awesome group paddleboarding tours, as well as surf paddleboarding where you’ll learn how to handle the ocean waves.
- For guests who are already familiar with paddle boarding, Great Escapes Kayak Expeditions offers rentals that include free delivery and pick-up year-round. They also offer two and four-house paddleboard tours.
- Surf City was the first shop to bring stand up paddleboarding to The Grand Strand. They offer boards for purchase or tours of the Intracoastal Waterway or the Atlantic Ocean.
- Jack’s Surf Lessons & Board Rentals offers SUP yoga classes in Murrells Inlet! No prior experience with either yoga or paddleboarding is necessary.
Zip Around on a Jet Ski
Jump and skip along the waves of the Atlantic Ocean with any of these jet ski rentals!
- Action Water Sportz is one of the most popular agencies in town, with the largest riding area on the Intercoastal Waterway. They also offer guided Dolphin Watch tours.
- Myrtle Beach Watersports offers jet ski rentals, as well as jet ski dolphin tours, pontoon boat rentals, and other exciting adventure. They even have GoPro rentals to capture your time on the water!
- Thomas Outdoors Water Sports, a family-owned and operated business offers pontoon boat rentals, dolphin tours, and (of course) jet ski rentals!
Enjoy an Afternoon of Kayaking
- Great Escapes Kayak Expeditions offers rentals as well as guided kayaking tours of the area. Their two-hour Cherry Grove Marsh Kayaking Tour is one of the best kayak tours around Myrtle Beach. They also offer kayaking tours of the Waccamaw River.
- Express Watersport offers kayaks by the hour or for a half-day. Ask the staff about the best places to kayak in North Myrtle Beach. If you’d prefer guided kayak tours, you can explore Murrells Inlet with their Sunrise Guided Kayak Tour.
Visit a Water Park
North Myrtle Beach has a fantastic selection of water parks that are the perfect way to spend the afternoon. Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline rush or you just want to float along a lazy river, it’s all right here!
- Shark Wake Park is a unique twist on the classic water park. You can enjoy a wakeboarding adventure, or you can conquer their inflatable aqua park, the biggest in North Myrtle Beach! Your kids will love climbing up and sliding down the tubing, and you’ll love seeing the smiles on their faces!
- Myrtle Waves Water Park features 20 acres of slides and rides, swerves and curves! It’s the biggest water park in South Carolina and features things for the whole family to do. Thrill-seekers can enjoy the 10-story Turbo Twister or winding through Snake Mountain, and the kids can have a great time in the 20,000 square-foot wave pool or gently floating through the lazy river.
- Wild Water and Wheels is the perfect park for families with older kids. Your teens or young adults will love the body slides and other exciting rides. There is a section for smaller kids, as well as a bumper boat ride, mini golf course, arcade games, and a snack bar.
Practice your swing during your trip to The Grand Strand! There are some wonderful golf courses that are near many of our gorgeous properties. Check out our selection of golf rentals to get pick out convenient and beautiful accommodations!
- Azalea Sands Golf Club was designed by famous golf course architect Gene Hamm in 1972. It has the widest fairways in the area but is still a challenging course.
- Barefoot Resort & Golf has four different courses, each with gorgeous views. The courses were designed by Greg Norman, Davis Love III, Tom Fazio, and Pete Dye and are visually striking and fun to play. They’ve also been ranked by every major golf publication.
- Possum Trot Golf Course is perfect for novices. This facility features a world-class golf academy, practice facility, and driving range.
- Beachwood Golf Course has everything you could possibly need to improve your game. This 18-hole course has a pro shop, driving range, snack bar, and lounge, and was also designed by Gene Hamm.
Visit an Amusement Park
- O.D. Pavilion combines the nostalgia of an old-school boardwalk with plenty of fun thrills. It’s open between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and offers food, rides, games, and gorgeous views of the Atlantic Ocean!
- Myrtle Beach Family Kingdom features more than 38 rides and a wet ‘n wild park across the street! This family-friendly attraction is a must for first-time visitors to the area.
- The Pavilion Park is located at Broadway at the Beach and features kid-friendly attractions like a carousel as well as thrilling roller coasters.
- Visit It’s A Thrill for an exhilarating afternoon! The Sling Shot ride propels riders more than 300 feet in the air, and the infamous Skyscraper lets guests experienced 4G force! There are also family-friendly rides available in the park.
Spend Some Time Inland
Have a Picnic Lunch at McLean Park
McLean Park is known by both visitors and locals as the prettiest park in North Myrtle Beach! Be sure to bring your camera to unwind in this 10-acre park. There are plenty of trees producing shade and grassy spots to throw down a blanket and have a picnic lunch.
Enjoy a Hike at Heritage Shores Nature Preserve
Established in 2007 near an island in the Cherry Grove marsh, this seven-acre park is perfect for fishing, kayaking, birdwatching, or hiking. There are walking paths that are perfect for a scenic stroll, including a mile-long boardwalk. Don’t forget to bring your camera to Heritage Shores Nature Preserve!
Vereen Memorial Historical Gardens
Vereen Memorial Historical Gardens combines history and scenic beauty. The gardens are a small part of a 400-acre plantation that has been in the Vereen family since the colonial days. Today, the Gardens are a much-loved hiking and sightseeing spot. Enjoy exploring the trails and wooden boardwalks, including a wide observation deck. This site is also dog-friendly, for all our guests who are traveling with their four-legged friend. Speaking of, have you seen our selection of pet-friendly homes?
Admire the largest collection of American figurative sculpture in the nation at Brookgreen Gardens! There are over 1,400 works by 350 renowned artists in their butterfly-shaped sculpture garden. They also feature three other gardens: the Palmetto Garden, the Fountain of Muses Garden, and the Labyrinth. There is also an on-site zoo, the which features native animal species as well as domestic animals. Brookgreen Gardens is well-known for its Night of a Thousand Candles, which happens every December. Visitors come from all over to see the gorgeous display of lights, which includes over 5,500 hand-lit candles and a ceremonial tree lighting.
Book a Home with Seaside Vacations
Are you ready to enjoy the fun outdoor activities in North Myrtle Beach? Check out Seaside Vacation’s outstanding selection of homes and condos. No other rental agency in The Grand Strand has such a wonderful inventory of beautiful, comfortable, and family-friendly properties. Enjoy the many amazing amenities and perks of booking with Seaside Vacations!